Friday, August 17, 2007

Elvis & KAAY


We played him and that's about it. I have played Elvis records all my professional life. I've never been a fan until lately. I talked about that previously. Seeing all the TV exposure lately reminded me of my only brush with the king of rock and roll. I was in Pine Bluff, AR, at KCLA and my good friend Larry Graham was working in sales. Elvis came to town at the then new Pine Bluff Convention Center. This first show sold out and they added another. Larry knew someone in the band, I think the drummer. He got us some trinkets, like the drum sticks from the concert. My daughter Holly, was old enough to go to her first concert and it would be Elvis. (free tickets that Larry got) I was standing in the concourse talking with Ross Hall the first manager of the convention center. When the orchestra started the 2001 theme, I could feel the electricity in the air. The hair on the back of my neck stood up. This was near the end of Elvis and Col. Parker was pushing him for all he could. Elvis was obviously sick at the time, but you have never seen a performer give more to that Pine Bluff, AR crowd than Elvis.

Legend has it that in the early days of Elvis, as he was touring small venues like the Louisiana Hayride, came through Pine Bluff and did an interview in the old KCLA studios. He burned a small hole in the carpet from a cigarette, for which Ken Kesterson never forgave him.

ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING

No comments: