Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Whatever Happened to KAAY's Phil North?

My computer crashed and has slowed my posting. I'll try to catch up.
Chris sent me an email as follows:

I'm
writing to say thanks
for taking the time to establish the site and contribute so
many nice
pieces
to it.
I grew up in Fordyce and remember listening to Sonny and
GJJ getting ready
for school. Graduated FHS in '72. The old 'breakfast
serials" were great
and
can just hear Sonny saying " . . . welllllllllll" when the
plot would
change and leave
the listener hanging 'till next time". I had an
opportunity to visit the
Big K studios
when Sonny and GJJ were on the air! What a pair those two
were. I'm
wondering -
whatever happened to Phil North? As I understand it, he
left for Detroit
in the early 70's. Wonder if he is retired now or just
what he is doing?
He did the
8-11pm slot as I recall.
So - thanks again. Just wanted to send you a quick note
today.

Chris

Anyone know? If so, email me at ajlinds@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I recall Phil North a k a Phil Rowe left KAAY around 1972 for WHBQ in Memphis. He later worked at KNUS in Dallas, 13Q (WKTQ) in Pittsburgh, WRKO in Boston and KILT in Houston.

Last I heard he had a recording studio in Houston.