Sunday, January 06, 2008

Beaker Street and the future

AJ,

I just found the blog, and you wanted comments from
ex-listeners
about the influence BS had on their careers.

I'd say that BS helped me get interested in the music biz,
and I've
got 25 years under my belt now. I was in radio for 8 years,
worked in
record retail for years, ran record labels for 12, Worked
for Warner
Bros in distribution for 12, and now sell old LPs at
gojohnnygo.com
full-time. Opening up a teenager's mind to weird music has
an
incalculable influence. My whole life revolves around it
now.

My friends in St Paul all listened to Beaker Street, and so
did my
cousins in South Dakota. We would talk about the music
played the
evening before at school the next day.

I received a KAAY bumper sticker in the mail once.

Question: I haven't gone over many pages of the blog yet,
and I my
find the answer is already been covered, but I seem to
remember a
version of Beaker Street in the mid-to-late '70s also. Am I
dreaming
this up?

-John Kass

John,
Beaker Street was on KAAY from 1966-1972. Thanks for your comments. It's interesting to find someone who went into radio AND the music business. It is also interesting to find someone selling vinyl on the interent. I see a few brick & mortor stores seilling vinyl. I am also seeing turntables selling again. New products like USB turntables and stand alone copy units that make CDs from records. I think there is a resurgance in vinyl happening at the same time as the ipod revolution. All this to wonder what is the future of radio?


A.J.

No comments: