Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ham Radio

A comment to this blog:
Hello, A. J.! In remembering my involvement in the radio hobbies, KAAY (and to a lesser extent, a couple other radio stations) were instrumental in leading me to Ham Radio. As I mentioned before, I was a 9-year-old kid listening to KAAY growing up, I imagined doing deejay work...then, the wonder of DXing and listening to stations around the world on shortwave caught me, but AM broadcast DXing (long-distance listening) has been close to my heart all these years. Now, with consolidation having taken it's toll, there's little local flavor to listen for, in my opinion....but I still tune around!


I've always searched for the odd, the unusual, monitoring shortwave, scanners, etc.; played with antenna systems to "hear" better; got my CB license in the heyday (KBCW7718) and operated for a number of years...but it was my wife who encouraged me to go for my "ticket", so for over 18 years, I've been licensed and have my Extra Class Amateur Radio License (KC4HGH), and getting that was a story in itself!

Needless to say, I have one of the more advanced rigs in my truck with a decent antenna system & talk all over the USA easily, but WHAT do I fall back and listen to? The AM broadcast band at night! Yes, I still scan and flip the VFO around, listening, monitoring and remembering growing up on AM radio!

A.J. no matter how advanced we get in our radio hobbies, it's always good to go back to our roots & remember- thanks for the good times!

Thanks for the memories. Most of the jocks I encountered in the radio and television business included myself, were not involved with ham radio. I guess we got our kicks out of the commercial band. The engineers were more likely to be hams but not as many as you would expect. Same thing for CB radio. There was such a kick out of broadcasting and getting paid for it.

No comments: