Saturday, April 14, 2007

Magnolia from KAAY's Ear On Arkansas

This comes from the last day of KAAY broadcast. Barry Wood a/k/a Mike McCormick will introduce the bit from Ear on Arkansas. More on the "Last Day" broadcast as you scroll down but I must make a comment about Mary Smart. Mary was a copy writer at KAAY. I had worked with her at a previous station and we never got along. Mary was much older and I was a teenager. I hated her copy and we clashed constantly. However, to do Ear On Arkansas we pulled in all the voices we could find in the building. Mary had a very soft, very southern voice. Howard Watson A/K/A Ken Knight created the character Magnolia as a recurring part. This continued after Howard left and we even got Tommy Riggs to do a jingle into which you will hear on the clip.

To show you what a small world it is, Mary is buried a half mile from my house in Alma.

In the window change the green bar selection to "Magnolia"


Click here to get your own player.

No comments: