Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Beach Boys, Glen Campbell & KAAY

Emperor…



Here is a story I have told several times to those who like KAAY stories….Feel free to use.



I always loved to do promotions when I worked at KAAY. As you know, some of the jocks did not like to appear in public. I thought it was great fun.



The Beach Boys were really hot and were coming to Robinson Center . Promoters wanted one of us to introduce them, and I was excited about it. As was often the case back them, Brian Wilson, became “sick” and the concert was postponed because of it. As I remember, they promised to re-schedule and ticket holders were offered a refund or could hold them for the concert later. They did as they said they would and returned. We talked it up a lot on the air, just like they wanted, and the concert went very well. A few Hot Rod & Surfin’ songs into the concert, Mike Love told us that again Brian Wilson was “ill” and not with them. He introduced a “fill in” and asked the audience to make welcome the replacement…..an Arkansas boy named Glen Campbell. He then featured him solo doing Roy Orbison’s “Crying”. I am not sure why I remembered the name or the song, but I did.



I just missed an opportunity to talk with Glen earlier this summer in Branson. I was in Springfield , Missouri on business and decided to go down to Branson to see Glen and Andy Williams together. I have a business friend there who was, at one time, married to Glen’s daughter. I talked with her (Glen’s daughter) at the show, before her appearance in it, and told her the story. We were both interested to know if he would remember the show and be surprised that I remembered the “Crying” solo. I was unable to talk to him after the show as planned, because of a lightning strike in the middle of the show that caused a change in their post show plans. Glen, by the way, is still a great performer, and Andy still has that special voice coming out of what looks like a 96 pound frame.



I keep up with the Blog on a regular basis and always say…..I have never had more fun than when y’all were pumping my voice over about a quarter of the U.S……and Canada….and Central America….and…..on and on.



If listeners thought we sounded like we were having fun, they figured it right. Non stop.



Jerry Sims……Sonny Martin 1962-1967

No comments: