Monday, September 03, 2007

KAAY Radio Geek

Hi AJ -

I happen to catch you tonight on 106.3 talking about KAAY,
and especially enjoyed the "shop talk" about the jingles.
I called in to relate a KAAY story, and was told I should
contact you. Here is my story (the short version).

I just moved to Little Rock three weeks ago from Wisconsin.
I immediately checked to see KAAY is STILL religious.
(That makes 23 years R&R and 22 years religious, which to me
is still pretty weird.)
My first radio job was in 1980 at age 17 in Wisconsin
Dells, Wisconsin
working 6pm-midnight. I would set up a boom
box on the new desk tuned to 1090 (the best spot for
reception) and listen to see what song was played, then play it on
the air myself. Our AM frequency was 900, so at sundown, I
could also get WLS booming into the control room, and
would do the same thing - listen and play whatever song they
played. I'm sure DJs around the country were doing the same
thing. I was always positive I was playing the hits. I
drove a '66 Rambler and WLS and KAAY were the only stations I
had on the radio.

I enjoy reading your blog, even though the 60s were a
little before my time. I have a few Dx tapes I made during the
early 80s, but is there any way to get a hold of airchecks
from that era? (1974-1985) ?? I know there are people out
there who trade airchecks. Can you offer any suggestions?
Living in Wisconsin, WLS was my main focus, and I have a
very extensive collection of Larry Lujack, et. al.

Thanks again for all the great info, and keep up the good
work.

Regards,

Bob Schultz
Little Rock

No comments: