Sunday, October 28, 2007

Comments on KAAY & Monster Mash

From Guitarlizard re: Monster Mash:

I still remember when that song came out, I had to have it so my mom on one of her trips downtown to the dentist picked me up a copy of Monster Mash down at Woolworth's with the cartoon cover.
I still have the 45, a little worse for wear, but the cover has gone the way of all flesh....

Thanks for the comment. When I first started in radio at KBBA Benton AR we didn't get all the hits from the record companies or distributors, so I often had to buy records sometimes for my show on the weekends. One of the owners of the station would open all the records when they came in and often stash the good ones in his desk. Lavelle Langley was his name and he was a co-owner with Preston Bridges. Later, after I left, Preston bought him out and comtinued to build the station.
While I was still there, I remember skipping school one day so I could work at the station. Seems as all the air people were doing a remote and they needed someone at the station to run the board. It was a high school track meet. Yes folks, a high school track meet on the RADIO. I probably learned more there than I would have at school. Being a daytimer, KBBA would have to tape the high school football games and play them back Saturday morning. It wasn't too bad because the players could listen then. Filming high school games was just coming into use. Black and white, 16 MM film. My senior year at Mabelvale High School, we got a Bolex 16 MM camera and I took the film to RayChris Productions at channel 4 to get our film developed Friday night for the coach to use Sat. morning. He ran it forward, backward, freeze frame, every way possible. He would rant and pound the table and throw thimgs. Great invention filming football. He did coach a district co-champ team that year. In those days there were no playoff or final championship games. Friday night lights were black and white.

No comments: