Saturday, March 08, 2008

Comment worth sharing

AJ:

Happy as I was to find your KAAY blog I was sad to read about Willie Oates and Larry Hart.

I'm Paul Perdue...born & raised in PB. I've lived in Dallas, TX for 21 years.

Didn't you work at KCLA for a while? I remember they were Top 40 for about 15-minutes once, and quite good, too. And if you worked with Larry you must've worked at KOTN too. Your name and face are as familiar to me as thirty years ago because I was a big, big listener of PB radio then. I remember meeting you somewhere, too.

I've been trying to track down Duane Haman to see if he has any old KOTN tapes he can copy for me. Buddy Deane's wife died in the last year so I missed my chance to contact her for some.

I just can't believe what has happened to Pine Bluff. The railroad pulling out certainly didn't help. There are more ex-Pine Bluffians now than current ones. I still stay connected with a lot of people there. I even have a website featuring old PB postcards (www.pinebluffpostcards.com).

I didn't know you worked at KAAY, maybe because of your alias. Hearing the jingle on your blog sure was nice. Hoo-boy, the late nights spent listening to Clyde were magical. They left such an impression on me that I am a hardcore collector of 60's psychedelia to this day. Thanks to the magic of the internet I probably now have a bigger psych collection than Clyde ever did! Do you have any old KAAY tapes?

I remember calling KAAY one night to request D.O.A. by Bloodrock and the DJ said no because he was alone at the station and the song was too scary.
I can relate lots of PB & LR radio moments but it's almost 1:00 a.m. but I'll certainly come back here.

Living in Alma, I'll bet you've got some good Tony Alamo stories.

Let's chat later!
Paul

1 comment:

vdog said...

There is a website where you can buy old radio station memoribilia.
Go to radiologoland.com and look over the radio station memoribilia from the late '50's through the '70's. There are different radio stations across the country,the logo KAAY used in the mid to late 60's and another in the early 70's is available.
They sell shirts, stickers, coffee mugs,etc.
I found an interesting find at an estate sale last summer. It was a toy '65 or '66 gold fastback Mustang with KAAY written on both doors.