Tuesday, July 24, 2007

All you can eat at the KAAY buffet!

I encourage you to save all the audio available on this blog that you are interested in. Soon I will be transferring everything to one website. Currently the audio files are on 4 different sites. PodOMatic costs me as much as a website, so I will be transferring those files first. I urge you to save what you might want now in case something gets lost in the shuffle. Please contact me any time a link doesn't work or if you have any problems copying audio files or photographs. For new readers, please checkout the archives all the way back to the start of this blog. This blog is in no particular order. I post items that are sent to me or that I uncover in my search for old KAAY material, or what happens to be on my mind for the day. After a fun afternoon visiting with Richard Robinson, I got to wondering if he was preparing my obituary, which wouldn't be a bad idea. I will always remember Pat Walsh, before his death, sending me an obituary that he had written about himself. He ask me for comments, editing, or additions. I'm sorry to say, that I never was able to respond to that request. Mainly because the obituary didn't measure up to my regard and respect for Pat. Larger than life is a trite expression that is aways used in connection with Pat. Oddly very little of the biography dealt with KAAY. That's what he wanted. he told me, there was much more to Pat Walsh than KAAY. I was never able to add or change in any way what was written. I didn't look it up, but what was in the papers was very close to what Pat had written. From the first day I met Pat, until our last telephone conversation, Pat was always a friend, mentor, father-figure and critic. He drove his family for Little Rock, AR to Blue Mound, Illinois, to be in my wedding. Amy, his youngest daughter was the flower girl. At the end of her walk down the isle, she still had a basket full of rose petals. She would drop only one every few steps.

The first day I met Pat, I'm sure his first words were something like "heard your show last night, you need a lota help". Pat became more mellow in our last few conversations. If you're new to this blog, put Pat Walsh in the search box in the upper left and search this blog. Those of you who have only heard KAAY on the radio, need to get to know someone who was there from the beginning, and became GM. Those of you who worked at KAAY, it's great to revisit those memories.

For those of you who may be thinking, "old Doc Holiday" is just living in the past and wanting to return to those glory days, I do have a life now, thank you very much. It is hard though, after you have been "The Emperor" it's mostly downhill from there. This blog was created with the purpose of gathering enough material for a book, or putting down a history of the best time in my life and sharing it with anyone interested.

As far as my obituary, all I want is "he is a Christian".

No comments: