Monday, July 30, 2007

One more KAAY Survey


(Double click on the image to enlarge)

See why these surveys are so valuable. How about some of you in Little Rock tracking down some record store employees or owners and see if they might have saved surveys. (Moses Melody Shop is all I can think of.....maybe Discount Records was open then) I didn't have to buy any records in those days, so the names of record stores escapes me. Have you noticed how "record" stores are disappearing? Even the big chains are going away. I think the beginning of the end was when stations stopped doing surveys. Top 10 countdowns are gone. The country stations could have picked up the "charting" but they didn't. These weekly surveys were a big deal. The jock that was the designated "music director" spent a lot of time on the weekly survey. We usually bonused advertisers space on the survey or the taxi cab backs. Every station in town that played top 40 put out a chart. I tend to forget how competitive radio was. With the mulit-station ownership in a market, the competition is greatly reduced. In the old days, every station had a receptionist, an engineer, etc. and they were all part of the team. Today, one person is answering the phone for 5 stations. The sales folk have too much product. At least XM Radio on some of their decades channels, still do a top ten countdown for a week in history. What's interesting to me about XM, if you read a financial report, you will see an item "customer acquisition cost". The one I saw was like $300 per listener. No wonder they are wanting to merge. Also, the age demographics I saw skewed older. (40-50s), but they seem to want to advertise Snoop Dog and Ellen Degerate.

Find some more surveys. You've seen all I can come up with.

No comments: