Saturday, April 05, 2008

More Teletype

Chris has left a new comment on your post "A thought about the old teletypes:":

I too did my share of changing AP machine ribbons. I worked for a station in south Arkansas beginning in 1970 while in high school. I learned fast the need for Playtex gloves. During my tenure there I only let the fan-fold paper run out twice. When working the evening shift till local sun-down sign off that was one of the main things to check - always make sure there was enough paper to get through the night.
Ahhh - the good old days of radio!!


Thanks Chris, and I would like to hear your memories just click on the "comments" below.

I think everyone should serve in the armed forces and every DJ should start at a daytime radio station. For those of you too young to remember "daytimers", they were AM radio stations that had to sign off at sundown and could not sign on until sunrise. As you can imagine they were at a great disadvantage in markets where there were ratings. The D.J. that signed off had a lot of responsibilities to shut down the station and secure it for the night. Anything that was wrong when the morning man came in was the fault of the jock who signed off. (usually the lowest man on the totem pole)

As I grew up in radio the next station I worked for was also a daytimer but at least it was in Little Rock or North Little Rock. Then I advanced to a full timer but it shut down at midnight. Same tasks make sure the AP machine would make it through the night.

Then I went to KAAY which was 24 hours. The first in the market to go 24 hours.
And a newsman who took care of the teletype.

No comments: