Saturday, August 09, 2008

KAAY Silver Dollar Sound Survey

Here is a memory from another site:

DXing, at least in terms of nighttime skywave reception, didn't mean all that much to me as a small child--after all, I was put to bed at 7 or 7:30 every night (and the radio was usually in my sister's room)! But I do remember hearing KAAY-1090 and their "Silver Dollar Survey," which confused me at the time--I thought I heard them say "Silver Dollar CITY", but my sister insisted it was just a theme park and not a *real* town, and didn't have its own station! And I can recall being intrigued by the Mexicans that were audible all over the dial on sunrise skip (some things never change!
...........................................................................
When KAAY first started in Sept. of 62, Jim Hankins a/k/a Mike McCormick named the music survey "The silver Dollar Sound Survey". He got the name from somewhere else and I never knew why it was called that. The name was kept for several years and the third or fourth program director changed it. It went through several design changes over the years. A copy of the Survey with the original jock line up is posted on this site. Just do a upper left search window for "silver Dollar Survey" and click on search this blog. Also, scroll down for the contest to find more surveys that are not posted on this blog. I have nad no winners so far.

No comments: