Friday, August 22, 2008

Thanks for a few comments on Contests but I need More

Here's one:
This brings to mind an aircheck I have of David Letterman in the late '60s, jocking on his college's carrier-current AM station in Indiana. Dave does a really good parody of the "secret sound" contests. Caller: "Is that a set of horse dentures hitting a metal shotgun casing?" Dave: "You're RIGHT!!"

We need a return to the good old days of radio contests - back when stations gave away smaller prizes to more listeners. Not the "be the 300th caller to qualify for the luxury Caribbean cruise!" stuff you see today.

One thing I learned from the small-ticket prizes we gave away when I worked at KOTN in the late '80s: you've made the listener's month. Even if it's just a free Big Mac or a TCBY waffle cone, they just WON SOMETHING ON THE RADIO.

Just my .02 in tarnished slugs. Please keep doing this blog! I read every word you write, as clearly many others do. Generally I comment on blogs when I feel like I have something to say, but otherwise keep silent.

--Russell Wells, Savannah GA
...............................................................................
I always liked the small contests. And Russell you are right on with the smaller prizes comment. If I had a $5000 budget, I would rather give 100 people $50 than one person $5000. You get far more word of mouth and station loyality with lots of winners.

We gave away lots and lots of records and albums. "Spin it and Win it" < name it and claim it, etc. We once had a cart with all the "spin it and win it different phrases we could think of and alternated them.

I thought sure I had written about the acre of records give a way but I couldn't find it. I'll have to do that soon. Meanwhile, leave your comments about radio contests.

No comments: