Sunday, August 26, 2007

Another comment moved to the MAIN post

Vdog says:

I read your article and it was great. I would like one of the bumper stickers if it is the one with the sunshine, with KAAY written on top.It is a shame what KAAY has turned into now. I'm glad to have thisblog and the old audio to listen to.Between '04 & '06 KAAY aired a program called Radio Yesterday.It played the old songs as well asold commercials, news pieces, & jingles. When the former program director left, the program sadly no longer airs.

Hey Vdog....let's not be too hard on the current KAAY. They are just doing what the old KAAY was doing, trying to make a buck. After all the old KAAY had 3 religious and farm blocks a day. The only top 40 station that I know of, who could do both top 40 and some block programming and get away with it. I always remember Pat Walsh beating the night time jock over the h ead with the ratings book showing Gardner Ted Armstrong and The World Tomorrow, having as high or higher rating as the jock. Whatever happened to Garner Ted Armstrong? -A.J.

2 comments:

Barry McCorkindale said...

It's my first indoctrination to the KAAY blog, and I've enjoyed going through it, although a lot of it predates my radio listening days. I'm the former program director who produced Radio Yesterday, the show that Vdog was referencing. The KAAY transmitter building has hundreds of old tapes of commercials, promos, news features and national public affairs programs. I made several trips out there the last few years I was at the station, and that served as the genesis of Radio Yesterday. Among my favorite pieces of audio would be the 1973 jingles package, a promo for the 1972 Arkansas-Texas game that included a bet between DJs from KAAY and WOAI in San Antonio, and a report on the flight of Apollo 13, as voiced by Willard Scott. Former Chief Engineer Felix McDonald and his wife Oleta still live out by the transmitter. I'd like to make a return trip, but I'm not sure management would agree to that, since I've not had a tie to the station for almost a year. I came home with probably more than 300 reels, but there are still at least that many more out there, and it hurts me to know that they'll probably never see the light of day again.

Noelle & John said...

Hey it's John, the current KAAY station manager. Yes I did remove the Radio Yesterday program, shortly after I arrived as station manager late last year. No one was sponsoring it & it didn't fit the Christian Talk format. If you know of someone sponsoring it - I can put it on the skywave overnights on saturday am or sunday am. Just shoot me an e-mail, e-mail address is on www.1090kaay.com