Friday, August 03, 2007

KAAY this is an unofficial blog

I got an email message that caused me to think I probably need to add a disclaimer to this site. This blog is a creation of a former employee and is for the purpose of sharing airchecks, photos, and other nostalgia connected with KAAY as a top 40 station. I tend to focus on the early years, 1962 through the 70s since less seems to be available for this time period. The email below caused me to pause, because I thought everyone knew what happened to KAAY. It is still on the air on 1090. The station abandoned the music format, and underwent several changes in ownership during the mid-1980's. Religious broadcasters have utilized KAAY's signal to spread messages nationwide. It was mainly a Southern gospel station when it entered Christian radio in 1985, but it switched to contemporary Christian music in 2000.

KAAY is the most powerful AM Christian station in the United States, with 50,000 watts of day and night power. The webpage for today's KAAY is:http://www.1090kaay.com/

On the website you can buy a KAAY tee shirt and get a free bumper sticker.

KAAY is currently owned by Citadel Communications Corporation. I am very pleased to have some of the current management and employees as readers of this blog.

Here's the email that prompted all of this:

Hey A.J.

What happened to KAAY? Are they still around? Did they make
the switch to
talk?
Hopefully they didn't go dark. I loved to listen to them
when WLS & WCFL
were being
choked out by skip interference.

I remember they had the same JAM Jingle package as WABC did
back in the
70's.

They were the south's WLS as far as I was concerned.


Dave Schreyer

Pub/Editor
History of Twin Ports Broadcasting
Twin Ports Media Blog

No comments: