Saturday, August 18, 2007

Rock Shows & Bands

At KAAY we had the opportunity to promote shows and work with show promoters. My greatest memory is Joe Dickey and I bringing The Kingsmen to Little Rock. Louie Louie was a hit the first time around. The Kingsmen were from Portland, Oregon. I don't remember if they had any shows between Portland and Little Rock, but I do remember having an armory full of fans and no Kingsmen in site. We got a call that their trailor was broken down in NW Arkansas and they would be late. We were worried enough because the rumors of dirty lyrics in the song Louie, Louie were rampant. The Kingsmen arrived. Great bunch of guys. They assured us the lyrics were clean and almost meaningless. The took the stage and played non-stop. No breaks.
The crowd ate it up. One of the best shows I've even seen.

The story of the Len Carl. station manager editorial about Louie, Louie another day.

Today I have a clip from my friend Jack Hendrix who supplied the KOTN music survey below.
His high school band The Play Boys made a record, that made the local music surveys. Even though we never played it at KAAY, and I didn't know Jack until later, I want to include it here for those of you who like to collect garage bands, this is a really early example from 1962. At KAAY we did play some local bands that had records. Today, the internet is about the only way a local band has a chance to be heard. Most radio stations today have such a tight playlist and record companies are really big and untouchable. The small hometown independent label is almost a thing of the past. Enjoy side A and B provided for educational purposes only:
http://kaay.podOmatic.com/entry/eg/2007-08-16T14_15_28-07_00

No comments: