Wednesday, August 08, 2007

KAAY Blog rewards

What keeps me going.....hearing from some many of you with very vivid memories of a radio stations over 40 years ago. I am also greatly encouraged by the grand children of some of the people envolved who are interested in their grandpa's past.

My children, were born during the KCLA, Pine Bluff phase of my life. To them radio was just an extension of their house. They appeared in commercials (doesn't everybody) I hope some day they have a desire to research the past.

I have seen the new Hairspray movie. Only because the original and the current movie are based on Buddy Deane of Baltimore Radio & TV fame. Buddy had a cameo roll in the first Hairspray movie. I'll have more about Hairspray and Buddy Deane another day.

I've written about Richard previously. If you need a refresher, you know the routine, upper left hand corner, search this blog. Richard and I share not only a KAAY interest but a movie theater business interest. Also, remind me to write someday about drive-in theaters.

Richard Robinson writes:


KAAY Memories”
I was almost ten years old when KHTS became KAAY over Labor Day weekend in 1962. For the next two+ decades, this powerhouse radio station in Little Rock, Arkansas, was a major part of my life. Since my brother was nine years older, he was listening to the Top 40 hits during that period. Every day during the week, we never missed the “Top 10 Countdown,” aired right after the 5:00 p.m. newscast. Over the years, I listened the this station at all times of the day and night, from Marvin Vines delivering the agricultural news, to the “KAAY For the People” bumper strip promotion. Along with most of my friends, we listened with intent and wonder at the unique Clyde Clifford on “Beaker Street.” It was an incredible program. Of course, with top-flight disc jockeys like “Doc Holiday,” “Sonny Martin,” “Rock Robbins” and the rest of the “Mighty 1090,” it was enthralling to a kid growing up during that time. It was mostly the influence of KAAY (along with Gene Stewart, a disc jockey at my hometown Conway radio station, KCON), which had a profound impact upon me, and ultimately convinced me to go into radio broadcasting. One thing about KAAY, you never heard any dead air. I have never listened to radio programming that was any tighter, and this was long before the days of computers.
KAAY helped me indirectly in my personal relationships, too. In 1987, I went to work as the morning disc jockey for KDEL radio in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, which was owned and managed by Eddie Graham. I grew very close to both Eddie and Carolyn, his wife. In 1989, I met their only daughter, Frances Anne (Fran). In 1992, she made me the happiest man on earth, by becoming my wife.
From 1992 until 1995, while a graduate student at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, and later, as a university teacher, I found myself once again going back to my childhood and KAAY for research interests. Currently, I am working on a dissertation for a Ph.D. in mass communications from Southern Illinois University Carbondale. At this point in time, I am writing about the impact of “Beaker Street,” from a historical perspective. It has been a treat getting to finally meet in person some of my childhood heroes like A.J. Lindsay, one of the “Doc Holidays” and “The Emperor,” and Clyde Clifford. Conducting research like this is difficult, but it is truly a labor of love. I have been privileged to talk with two of the KAAY giants, who have since gone on to heaven. They include Pat Walsh, and George J. Jennings. I hope to continue telling the KAAY story through research and writings in the future. This blog site has been a Godsend, not only for me, but also for all of us who love KAAY and want to keep its legacy and memory alive. If any of you have any information on “The Friendly Giant,” please share it with A.J. and/or contact me. I would be forever grateful to you. Thanks again, A.J.

No comments: