Monday, August 06, 2007

KAAY and Girls, Girls, Girls

Jerry Sims, a frequent contributor to this site, brought back some memories I would like to expand on. First, a segment from his recent email:

Your posting on your “reverb gadgets” was funny too. I was always amazed at the things you came up with. Particularly the garden hose one at KXLR. Gary Weir and I loved our jobs so much that we would spend most of the night, after which ever one of us signed off, back in the production room. Sometimes girls seemed to enjoy it too.

I was single and 18 at KAAY. Being a veteran of the broadcast business already, (KAAY was my fourth radio station) I had learned you never date or even encourage the girl listeners. I remember one New Year's eve party at Jim Hankin's(a/k/a Mike McCormick) house. We were celebrating and of course had the station on. The DJ (who will remain nameless) would call the party and tell us a girl from Mississippi had called to say she was on the way by bus to meet him. Through the night she would call and report getting closer and he would call the party with more panic in each call. I know it almost sounds like a movie script. I'll save you the gory details, but needless to say the nameless DJ learned to avoid listeners. Maybe that's why we paid someone to answer the phones at night.

No comments: