Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why post a KOTN music survey on a KAAY blog?




Well first I have been begging for KAAY surveys and a good friend Jack Hendrix, sent me two music surveys from the Pine Bluff AR market. The survey above is significant because the date is very close to the sign on date for KAAY. Double click on the survey to enlarge it enough to read.

Buddy Deane owned KOTN at this time, having left Baltimore where he was a famous TV dance show host and disc jockey, to own a radio station in Pine Bluff, AR. Buddy has been the inspiration for two movies and a Broadway play. John Water's Hairspray in 1988 featured Buddy in a bit part. A Broadway play is currently running called Hairspray and the movie currently in theaters, is based on the Broadway musical.

I left KAAY to manage a radio station in Pine Bluff, KCLA. Buddy and I became avid competitors. Many years later, I would open retail stores and some of the first advertising I bought was on Buddy's morning show. Buddy and I became good friends.

Tony Warnier wrote a book on Buddy Deane several years ago, and I hope to have information soon on how you can get a copy of the book as it goes back into print.

Back to the survey. Several items about this survey. If gives you a great history of the songs popular when KAAY went on the air. On Sept 8th, 1962 Buddy was not doing the morning show it was Buzzy Bennett. a big name in radio brought it to rebuild the station. I called my friend Jack and asked why there were pictures and names blacked out. We finally figured out, an announcer had left and they probably had a big supply of blank surveys with Bill Lewis's picture on them. Rather than reprint they just blacked out his name and picture on the over prints.
The Bob Robinson picture is just dark.

My friend, Jack Hendrix, had a high school band, "The Playboys". You'll notice they had a record that made it to #22. "Baby Doll" was actually the flip side. The band thought "Oh Poo Pa Doo" should have been the "A" side.

I also thought it was hilarious that the "Teen Tune of the Week" was Don't Go Near The Indians by Rex Allen.

No comments: