Friday, October 24, 2008

8 tracks & More

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "More Turntables and Vinyl":

One of the hottest receivers I had was an underdash unit with an 8-track player from J.C. Penny! It was Quadraphonic on 8-track, standard stereo on FM. All I had to do was unplug the antenna lead from the AM radio, plug it into the FM/8-track unit, then plug a jumper from the unit to the AM radio. In there somewhere was the in-line bullet amplifier I'd mentioned in other posts (wish I would have kept it!)

I had four heavy-duty 5" speakers in each corner of the car and faded them properly, to hear them at the driver's position. Man, with Led Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love" playing, the audio flew all over the inside of that ol' '66 Dodge!

Unfortunately, someone bashed in the passenger-side window when I was at work one night, kicked the unit out trying to get it (they didn't get much, as pieces of it were all over the floor) and stole about 300 8-track tapes. I never was able to get much of my favorite music back and the FM-8-track was obsoleted by J.C. Penny, so I didn't get back to what I had before. Needless to say, I had fun with that system, as well as the AM-and bullet-amp combo listening to KAAY!

No comments: