Friday, October 24, 2008

Answer to post below

The original music (along with the sound effects) was from the dream sequence of the motion picture "Charade," by Henry Mancini. Later, the background music was changed to a selection by a group named "Head." The name of the song was "Cannabis Sativa." I'm not sure when the music was changed, but this is from an interview with Clyde Clifford, the original and still host of Beaker Street." The Head song was on the Buddhah record label, and it was distributed in 1970, so my guess would be around 1968-70, but that's only a guess. Hope this helps. Richard Robinson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, thanks to Richard Robinson, but I already knew about the background music when the mic was "open", to mask the transmitter noise, DURING the show. I was REALLY asking about the OPENING music, at the beginning of Beaker Street, when the show began after the news. It was heavy guitar music, with the intro over, then it faded into the first selection. The date mentioned was a good example to listen to and I believe is in the music files here. Thanks, Bud, Mobile, AL

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Bud. I'm afraid that I can't help you there, but I'll try to find out from Clyde Clifford. I'm finishing up a Ph.D. dissertation on Beaker Street, and I need to speak with him anyway. Stay tuned!

Richard Robinson