Monday, September 22, 2008

Gazmik has left a new comment on your post "Music I Grew Up With":

What do you think of the country music now compared to the country before the impact of people like Graham Parsons and Emmylou Harris and their country rock influence?

When I was a youngster, my parents listened to Johnny Cash, Hank Williams (not Junior), Pasty Cline, Skeeter Davis and the Davis Sisters, Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers, etc. But now, I feel like country is totally different, and maybe a little bit sappy and over-commercialized.
......................................................................................................................................................................................
Without a doubt country music today is yesterday's rock and roll. This is why the country market is so big. If the record companies would look at sales in country and gospel music they would find large increases while the rap hip hop or whatever it is, is down. True, country music has changed. It used to be called country and western. There was also blue grass.

I personally like a lot of today's country. And I like it because of the mass audience it is attracting. Even among the kids you will find country fans.

At KAAY we always played a lot of "cross-over" country songs. The strangest crossover song I remember was Tex Ritter's Hillbilly Heaven. Do a search in the upper left window and search tis blog for Hillbilly Heaven. There is an mp3 file of this song.

Something I didn't realize until lately: John Ritter was Tex Ritter's son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you need a little more "western" in your country and have fun with it as well, catch the group "Riders In The Sky"...they've been around for 30+ years now and are a hoot to watch and listen to! I caught them on Crook and Chase this past weekend.

I grew up on rock & roll, but listen to a little country from time to time..."99 Lite" (another "slogan station") WMXC plays a lot of cross-over music.

I enjoy comedy, so I always enjoyed the likes of Ray Stevens and Justin Wilson.

Fom time to time, CMT airs the program, "Crossroads"; I happened to catch Allison Krause and Union Station one evening and really enjoyed that music.

Otherwise, I'm a talk radio type of person...Bud, Mobile, AL