Sunday, September 21, 2008

Music I Grew Up With

Gazmik has left a new comment on your post "No Winner Weekend":

Have you ever posted anything on the music that you listened to growing up that may have influenced your move into radio as a career?.............................................................................

No I haven't and thanks for giving me a new direction.

First, it seems like I was always in radio. As a kid, my uncle Dan Winn was chief engineer for KARK (AM in Little Rock) He would take me to the studios on Saturday morning. He would rummage through his desk and find all kinds of great trinkets. RCA pencils and stuff. He was also the sound engineer for Robinson Auditorium and had two seats front row balcony.(permanent complimentary) He would often take me to concerts that passed through. I remember going every year to The Four Freshman. While I was in high school I got a part time job at KBBA in Benton AR. THe station was day parted to play all kinds of music. The last hour of the day (in the winter that would be 4-5PM since it was a daytimer) the station played R & B. That was my early exposure to rock and roll. The early Coasters, I really remember. To work there, though you had to have a knowledge of country, since they played an hour of country. It was a great time to grow up. I learned to appreciate big band, jazz & folk. To this day, I still enjoy going back to mid 50s music. As rock and roll and Elvis came of age, I got a job in Little Rock at a single format top 40 station, still a daytimer. Finally, I made it to the big time KXLR which was 5000 watt full time. Until KAAY came to the market, no one thought of going 24 hours. I have programed or managed top 40, rock and roll, country, black and disco. And I still like it all even some of the disco. If I were in radio today, it would probably be talk or country.

1 comment:

Gazmik said...

What do you think of the country music now compared to the country before the impact of people like Graham Parsons and Emmylou Harris and their country rock influence?

When I was a youngster, my parents listened to Johnny Cash, Hank Williams (not Junior), Pasty Cline, Skeeter Davis and the Davis Sisters, Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers, etc. But now, I feel like country is totally different, and maybe a little bit sappy and over-commercialized.